Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Straight from the Heart



A new website that's a treasure trove for those who like vernacular photography and a good story - Pictures of My Mother.com posts pictures people have submitted of their mothers along with a story or recollection of the subject.

It's surprising how moving these little vignettes can be, but that's the power of words and pictures that come from the heart. Perhaps that's something that should be added to the rules I posted about what it takes to make it as a photographer!










3 comments:

michael and karen said...

Thanks so much for the write up. Very touching and we have been fans of your site for a long time.

Joe Holmes said...

I don't know why, but vernacular photography really grabs me (though did we need such an academic name for such a simple thing?).

Anonymous said...

Vernacular means characteristic of a period, place or group. When you think about it, all photos can be, depending on the context, be considered vernacular.

What I like about the site is that it makes me realize that the old woman who cared for me all of my life was probably once a complex, flawed, sexy human being with hopes and aspirations which died with her. I knew my mom but never really "knew" her.